Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
scattered[_4_] scattered[_4_] is offline

Default Pseudocode software

On Feb 18, 1:20*pm, salgud wrote:
I'm learning to write pseucocode before I do the actual code as I was
taught to do in a VBA class. I've been playing with different software in
which to write it. I've tried WordPad and Notepad. Wordpad seems a little
better because I have more control of the tabs and some of the other
formatting, but I can't indent or outdent multiple lines of code. I'm sure
Word would drive me nuts by trying to force some kind of formatting it's
designed to do, like normal paragraphs or lists or outlines.

What do people use? Can you give me the benefits/issues with it? Or is it
just whatever you had at hand?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with Peter that if you are actually typing you might as well
use the VBA editior. I do find it helpful to write pseudocode before
coding (especially for larger programs), but when I do it is always
hand-written since it is for my own consumption anyway and hand-
writing lends itself to things like doodling what an array or
spreadsheet layout looks like at a certain point in code execution,
jotting down marginal notes and drawing arrows to depict
dependencies.

If you like the idea of something more formal, perhaps you could type
pseudocode in a code module (with syntax-checking temporarily turned
off) then comment out the pseudocode (which can be done instantly) and
use it as a guide to write the code immediately below. I could see how
that might be helpful even if it is a bit too formalized for my taste.
It would serve a documentation purpose by giving comments which
outline the algorithm to be implemented.

hth

-scattered