Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
L. Howard Kittle L. Howard Kittle is offline

Default In cell drop list question

Hi mel,

Here is a poor mans solution to your Auto Complete drop down using Data
Validation.

Sort your list. Then go through your list and enter an A, B, C at the top
of all your entries where they begin. So you have an A at the top of all
the A entries, a B at the top of all the B entries and so on to Z.

Now in your Data Validation cell enter the single letter of the list you
want to look up, lets say its a K, type in a K and DO NOT hit Enter, leave
the cell in the edit mode...(flashing)! Click on the Down Arrow displayed
in the cell and you will be taken to the top of your K list Scroll down to
your choice of K's and click on it.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Mel" wrote in message
Excel 2003

Using Data Validation List, where a drop list of items is produced
in the cell, is there any workarounds or coding strategies to make it
scroll to or "auto complete" to an item in the list based on the first
characters I type in the cell? I realize it doesn't do this natively,
but wondering if anyone has any tricks?

Thanks,
Melina