George Nicholson

Each of these cells represents part of an E-mail
address and I need all the numbers to make it work.

Well, in that case you don't need to treat it as a number, just like you
wouldn't treat zip codes, credit card #s or social security number as
numbers (do you doing any addition, subtraction, multiplication with them?)

Try treating your values as text and forcing Excel to see them as text. If
necessary, look at either the Text() worksheet function or, in VBA, the
Format() function.
= Text(2,"0000")
returns the text value of "00002"
Since you need leading zeros stored, avoid use of numeric data types or
formatting cells as numeric (or General for that matter).

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"Tom" wrote in message
The custom format idea works for the display, but it does not carry over
what I need to do with the number. Each of these cells represents part of
an
E-mail address and I need all the numbers to make it work. I am using a
formula such as " When I apply the formula I lose the
zero at the front again...any ideas?

"Tom" wrote:

I need to paste numbers to Excel that sometimes begin with 0. How do I
do
this without losing the lead 0? I am using Office 2000. You advice is
appreciated.