Paul B

Steven, here is one way, payments starting in E3, deposits starting in F3,
starting balance in G2, put this in G3 and copy down
=(IF(OR(E3,F30), OFFSET(G3,-1,0)- E3+F3,""))
I have a workbook set up for this if you would like to take a look at it let
me know your address and I will send you a copy, you may also want to have
a look here http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/templategallery/ Microsoft has
one but when I tried to find it I got "Error: Access is Denied", there site
might be down right now

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

" Wondering Why" wrote in message
I want to set up excel so I have three columns, debits, credits and

balance.
How do I make it so that it will add or subtract the amount and give me

the
proper balance each time?

Thank you

Steven