Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MikeZz MikeZz is offline

Default Log who last changed a cell in a row...(incl Multi-Cell change

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply.

I looked through some code I had in another workbook that did the single
cell tracking but to be quite honest....
It's rather bulky (with a lot more than what I need).
It's been a year since I looked at it.
It was created from a hodge-podge of sources.

I don't think I would be able to trim it down easily without screwing
something up.

Your comments sound simple enough...
What I suggest is that you loop through all the cells in Target (all the
cells that the Change Event sees as being changed)

But I have very little experience in using change events and could probably
waste a couple hours figuring how to do it. So, do you know an online source
which has the basic syntax and structure to go through what you suggested?
Or maybe a simple routine that I could modify for my purposes?

Thanks again for the feedback.
MikeZz

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

The problem with logging changes to block of cells, is that it also requires
blocks of cells to do the logging.

What I suggest is that you loop through all the cells in Target (all the
cells that the Change Event sees as being changed) and add/modify a comment
to include the username and date.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200831

"MikeZz" wrote:

Hi,
I know it's been hashed through a number of times with the answer that you
can't track multi-cell changes.

My question is if I can at least record who changed a cell and when... don't
need to know the old or new value... only that it was changed.

In my case, I have an excel workbook with about 15000 rows of data.
I have data in columns A through H.
If someone changes the value either in Columns C or D in row 1234, I want to
put their name in cell I-1234 with today's date in cell J-1234.

I can get it to work for single cell changes but want to know if it's
possible to do this tracking on multi-cell changes as well. Examples
being... copy and paste to many cells, drag down fills, etcl. The reason I
have hope someone can help is that I don't need to know the before and after
values.

Thanks for any help,
MikeZz