Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
OssieMac OssieMac is offline

Default List file names using VBA Dir instruction

See if the following example help. One retrieves Directories and the other
retrieves files.

Sub Test_Dir_Path()
'Returns directories for specified path

Dim MyPath As String
Dim myDirectory As String

MyPath = CurDir & "\" ' Set the path and add "\"

MsgBox "Current path is:- " & Chr(13) & _
MyPath 'For testing purposes

' Retrieve the first directory entry.
myDirectory = Dir(MyPath, vbDirectory)
Do While myDirectory < "" ' Start the loop.
' Ignore the current and encompassing directory.
If myDirectory < "." And myDirectory < ".." Then
' Test that is a directory
If (GetAttr(MyPath & myDirectory) And vbDirectory) _
= vbDirectory Then
MsgBox myDirectory 'For testing purposes
myDirectory = Dir 'Get next entry.
Loop
End Sub

Sub Test_Dir_Files()
'Returns files for specified path

Dim MyPath As String
Dim myFile As String

MyPath = CurDir & "\" ' Set the path and add "\"

MsgBox "Current path is:- " & Chr(13) & _
MyPath 'For testing purposes

' Retrieve the first entry.
myFile = Dir(MyPath)
Do While myFile < "" ' Start the loop.
MsgBox myFile
myFile = Dir 'Get next entry.

Loop

OssieMac

"LVS" wrote:

I want to use VBA Excel 2007 to list the names of files in a particular
directory. I cannot use FileSearch, and need some guidance on use of
Dir("PathName",vbattribute). Which attribute responds to the name of the
file?.