Harlan Grove

Default Non-random numbers generated by excel's data analysis random gener

Allie wrote...
I've been trying to generate random numbers using excel's random number
generator in the analysis toolpak. I'm using Uniform number generation
between 0 and 1, and I am using a random seed, as I would like to be able to
re-generate the same numbers in the future.

Using seeds from 1 to 10, when i fill a range of 16 cells with random
numbers, the first cell filled is always the lowest. This is an extremely
unlikely circumstance with a true RN generator. I just wanted to raise this
flag, as it could be affecting others without their knowledge.

First, this isn't the appropriate newsgroup for this detailed level of
Excel functionality. You'd be better off posting in
microsoft.public.excel.misc, to which I've cross-posted this reply.

This is a know problem. See

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...36f9fec558b658

(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2C0129CB ).