Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
lolo lolo is offline

Default how to compare parts of text in different cells

On 20 Sty, 10:57, Ksenija wrote:
HI,

can somebody help me with a problem: I want to write a code which can
compare for example 4 letters in the middle in one cell with for instance 4
letters in the middle in an other cell, and then do something depending on if
these 4 letters are the same or not..

for example, if I have these two different cells, and I want to see if the
second cell has the same 4 digits in the middle.. *

E224_Gv080326f 3_3_01
E224_Gv080603f 3,2_3_01

I don't want to write a code *like "recognize this exact combination of
letters", since I have a lots of different cells and I want to compare them
with eachoter. I want the next cell to be compared with ones before..

There is a function called MID(). It gives you back a partstring of a
string. So what you could do, if you have e.g. these two strings:

TR_5678
TR_5677

and want to know if the digits are the same. Mid("TR_5678",4,4) gives
you back this 4 digits. Instead of the string you can of course set a
reference, like A3.
Now you can compare the strings in an IF() function to do something,
when they match, for example.

Regards,
lolo