Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MichaelDavid MichaelDavid is offline

Default Unable to make the name Property of the Range Object Local

Greetings! On page 128 of "Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference" it says
with respect to creating a name which refers to a range: "If you want the
name to be local, you can include a worksheet name: Range("F1:F10").Name =
"Sheet1!Staff" "
In my workbook, BookIssuers.xlsm I have a number of worksheets. The Active
Worksheet is "24Iteration" but it could be any of the worksheets in the
workbook. I tried to make a range on the Active Worksheet local as follows:

First I declared SheetName As String:

Dim SheetName As String

Then, I retrieved the Sheet Name and displayed it as follows:
SheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
MsgBox SheetName
I also tried:
MsgBox ActiveSheet.Name

Both of these MsgBoxes indeed displayed "20Iteration" as expected.

I then tried to name the local range IssuerLabels as follows:

Range("C3:C5").Name = "SheetName!IssuerLabels"

When I run the above instruction, I get:

"Run-time error '1004':
Application-defined or object-defined error"

I then tried running:
Range("C3:C5").Name = "ActiveSheet.Name!IssuerLabels" and got the same error
message.

I then substituted in the actual name of the sheet and ran the instruction:
Range("C3:C5").Name = "24Iteration!IssuerLabels"

which runs without error. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--
May you have a most blessed day!

Sincerely,

Michael Fitzpatrick