Posted to microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
JB JB is offline

Default Reading SQL Table into Excel and calculating/inserting group line

Use Data/Subtotal

JB
http://boisgontierjacques.free.fr
On 11 jan, 14:51, Joel wrote:
This is a 2 part answer. *the macro below will add the SUM rows to the
spreadsheet after you get the Database data

The best way of getting the data from the database is to rrecord a macro
while creating the SQL manually.

1) First start recording a macro from the worksheet menu Tools - Macro -
Start Recording.

2) Get the Database data using worksheet menu Data - Import External Data

3) The stop recording Tools - Macro - Stop Recording.

You can then modify the Recorded macro as required to make it more general
purpose.

Sub AddSum()

RowCount = 2
FirstRow = RowCount
Do While Range("A" & RowCount) < ""
* *If Range("A" & RowCount) < _
* * * Range("A" & (RowCount + 1)) Then

* * * Rows(RowCount + 1).Insert
* * * Rows(RowCount + 1).Insert
* * * Rows(RowCount + 1).Insert
* * * Range("B" & (RowCount + 2)) = "SUM"
* * * For ColCount = 3 To 4
* * * * *Cells(RowCount + 2, ColCount).FormulaR1C1 = _
* * * * * * "=SUM(R" & FirstRow & "C:R" & RowCount & "C)"
* * * Next ColCount

* * * RowCount = RowCount + 4
* * * FirstRow = RowCount
* *Else
* * * RowCount = RowCount + 1
* *End If
Loop

End Sub

"Claudia d'Amato" wrote:
Assume I have in a SQL database (Oracle) a table like:

Group Name value1 value2
1 * * Karl * 10 * * 20
1 * * Paul * *3 * * *4
2 * * Tony * *2 * * *0
2 * * Ben * *80 * *100
2 * * Peter * 1 * * *1
3 ....

Now I want to read this table with VBA and insert it into an Excel sheet.