Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joel joel is offline

Default Using Input Bx to Find Record

the code should work on a string only if the string in the text box exactly
matches the cell. If the string in the box contains only a portion of the
cell data then make the following change

from:
xlWhole
to:
xLPart

"bamenell" wrote:

I got this code to work and find a record in a range of data and select that
row. But it only finds numbers. I need it to find a string, or a letter-
number combination. What do I need to change?

Private Sub CommandButton6_Click()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
Dim rngOrder As Range
Dim lngReferenceNumber As Long

lngReferenceNumber = Application.InputBox( _
Prompt:="Enter P.O. Number", _
Title:="Enter P.O. Number", _
Type:=1)

Set rngOrder = Worksheets("PO's").Range("A:A").Find( _
what:=lngReferenceNumber, _
lookat:=xlWhole)

If rngOrder Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "P.O. not found"