fritzj8

Default Help with Formulas

I need help with creating a formula. I want to count the total number
of individuals who meet a certain criteria in one column and a certain
criteria in another column. For example: I want to find out the total
number of people who live in Germany and went on a specific trip. For
argument sake let's say column A is at lists only Y or N for yes and
no, and column B is a list of Countries such as Germany, America, etc.
I would like to figure out the total number of individuals who have a Y
in column A and the word Germany in column B. This is what I have done
so far and it works for counting only those with Germany in column B or
a Y in column A:

=COUNTIF('[Spreadsheet Name.xls]'!$B:$B,"Germany") or
=COUNTIF('[Spreadsheet Name.xls]'!$A:$A,"Y")

The first formula will give me the total number of individuals with the
word Germany in column B, and the second will give me a total number of
individuals with a Y in column A. How can I combine these two formulas
to come up with one that will only count those individuals who have both
the word Germany in column B and a Y in column A? I appreciate your
assistance with this matter. Please respond to

Thanks,
Fritz

--
fritzj8