Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chip Pearson Chip Pearson is offline

Default index vs vlookup

If you concerned about file size, changing an INDEX formula to a
VLOOKUP won't make any difference beyond the few bytes occupied by the
formula as a string. File size is governed by how much data you're
storing, not how you might be working with that data. On the other
hand, you might see a performance difference between INDEX and
VLOOKUP. My intuition tells me that INDEX would be faster than
VLOOKUP. Whether any performance gain will be noticeable, though,
depends on how many cells you're working with. If it in the
neighborhood of a few thousand or fewer, the performance gain may not
be visible to the user.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:51:08 -0800, geebee
(noSPAMs) wrote:

hi,

does INDEX() take up more room than VLOOKUP? i am thinking of
traansitioning formulas in one column from INDEX() to VLOOKUP, and was
wondering if doing so will decrease the filesize.

Thanks in advance,
geebee