Dave Peterson

When excel saves a file, it saves it as a new name first. If that works ok, it
either deletes the original or
renames it to something like "backup of book1.xlk".

And then renames that temporary file to the original file name.

If you run out of space on that thumb drive, then bad things can happen.

Dave Peterson wrote:

It's very difficult to remove your harddrive while you're editing the file.

And as large as those jump drives are, there is usually lots more real estate
available on a harddrive.

When excel saves a file, it renames the original file, creates a new file. If
that works ok, it either deletes the original or renames it to something like
"backup of book1.xlk". If you run out of space on that thumb drive, then bad
things can happen.

And a side benefit of saving to a harddrive and copying to the thumb drive is
that you have a backup.

(I bet more thumb drives are just plain lost than desktops or even laptops.)

CLR wrote:

Pray tell "Why"?................I have personally been working off of
various types of Jump Drives for a couple of years with nary a
problem............I can understand it with Floppies, and I suppose anything
is possible, but I cannot even begin to concieve how working off a
mechanical Hard Drive would be considered more reliable than a solid state
Jump Drive.

A complex technical explanation will suffice.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
Even then, the file should be saved to the hard disk before changing it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"CLR" wrote in message
Technically, what you are wanting to do is possible.........however,
Floppy
Disk Drives are mechanical devices and therefore inherently subject to
failure which could result in data loss. You would be much better off
using
one of the new pocket "jump" drives, they hold a LOT more data than a
floppy
disk and are considerably more reliable.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Martie1949" wrote in message
lkaboutsoftware.com...
I have a monthly expense I set up in excel. I have to go from office to
office to different computers so if I add in an expense can or will the
update be saved in the floppy or how can I save the changes?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson