KG

the problem I'm having is that:

1) One of the formulas I am using is counting the total number of items that
make up the subtotal and
2) the number of items that go into the subtotal varies widely; for example,
one subtotal may be from a list of 5 items whereas the next may be from a
list of 45.

I don't see how I can copy and paste a formula that computes a range of 5
items to the next subtotal that is composed of a much larger number of items.

"KG" wrote:

I have a large data list with subtotals (in fact with nested subtotals). I
have collapsed the list so that only the subtotals are showing. Next I set up
a few columns to the right of the data list with the intent of applying
certain calculations, again ONLY to the subtotals.

Here lieth the problem: when I set up the formulas for the first subtotal
and attempt to simply drag it down, Excel obviously assumes that the copied
formula applies to the next row of the full-blown, uncollapsed data list. Is
there any way to accomplish the task without having to manually create a
separate table that only displays the subtotaled data? That would be a very
big (and boring) job. Incidentally the row interval between subtotals varies
widely.