Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Function to Check Borders

If you're going to put the code in your personal.xls workbook, then you'll need
to tell the other workbook where to find the function:

=personal.xls!thinbottomborder(a14)

Marco wrote:

THANKS for the vote of confidence. lol

Actually did follow your instructions but it will not work from my
personal.xls macro wb.

So I am appreciative of your help.

Sincere regards,

Marco

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't think you did.

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

Marco wrote:

No go. Did as instructed and getting same error.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Put the entire code that I posted in its own module--Insert|Module--don't put it
in a worksheet module and don't put it under the ThisWorkbook module.

Marco wrote:

No go. Still getting the same error.

Do I need to put in "Option Explicit"?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You can use a UDF like:
Option Explicit
Function ThinBottomBorder(rng As Range) As Long
If rng.Cells(1).Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlThin Then
ThinBottomBorder = 1
Else
ThinBottomBorder = 0
End If
End Function

Then put this in M15:
=thinbottomborder(a14)

Marco wrote:

I want to create a function that will check a cell for a bottom border and
return a 1 if True or 0 if False.

My function will be in cell M15, checking cell A14 for the border.

I have the following, which is returning a #NAME? error:

If Range.Select.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlThin _
Then ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1" Else ActiveCell.FomulaR1C1 = "0"

Thank you in advance for your help

Marco

--

Dave Peterson