Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
William[_9_] William[_9_] is offline

Default Excel worked OK on XP

On Oct 31, 8:57*am, Dave Peterson wrote:
if you type this on the command line:

del "C:\that long path\fd972000"

does it get deleted?

You could try using windows explorer to get to that folder and then deleting
from there.

Temporarily turn on a few settings in windows explorer
(WinXP menus--so may have to translate for vista)

Open windows explorer
Tools|Folder Options|view tab
Scroll down and select "Show hidden files and folders"
and uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

(make a note of your settings before you change them so that you can change them
back.)

Then try traversing that long folder structure.

I have no idea if Vista has any security settings that will stop you from
deleting the file, though.

ps.
Windows start button|Run (or the equivalent in Vista)
type:
%appdata%
and hit enter
and you may avoid a few levels of clicking.

William wrote:

<<snipped
Dave, I have succeeded in finding the path to one of the funny files
using your DOS route. However, when I try to delete it using the del
command I get the following message: *"The system cannot find the path
specified."

I typed * DIR FD972000/s * *The path that was given: * Directory of c:
\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Office
\Office\XLStart

We're *sooo close to being able to delete these unwanted files. *I
hope that you will be able to suggest a way to get over this hump.
William S

--

Dave Peterson

Dave, Thanks for your prompt reply. I will be implementing your
suggestions. It may not be until tomorrow as I will be having to
indure a medical procedure today.
William S