Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Paige Paige is offline

Default Learning VB

Thanks guys! I'm one of the "elderly", but hope my brain is still able to
learn something new. Will definitely check into both C # and VB.net and see
where to go from there. Appreciate the links Harald!

"Harald Staff" wrote:

Hi

Very broadly speaking from Norway Europe, where this discussion is
everlasting:
VB6 is old as in old. Unsupported for like 10 years. The only place where it
is used is in maintenance of older projects, and as VBA, the Office
programming language. None of these in a resume will get anyone a job.

VB turned dotnet (and broke backwards compatibility) together with the new
language C# (Csharp), presented to me as "Java but it works" back then. Net
is used for standalone programs, websites and lots of things. There are
plenty jobs out there for VB.NET and C#.

So my advice #1 from a market view would be C#
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/
buy a book, download for free, work and learn. C# is what everybody asks
for. #2 is VB.Net
http://www.microsoft.com/Express/VB/
likewise, buy a book, download for free.

And leave it to us elderly to write and maintain VBA and VB6. We work for
coffee and a free t-shirt.

Best wishes Harald

"Paige" wrote in message
I've been learning VB 6 and using it in Excel. But due to the current
economic situation, am fearing for my job and want to start
learning/taking
classes in what is the most marketable form of VB so-to-speak. There is
VBA,
VB net, VB Studio, etc. and I don't understand the difference between them
and what is used for what basically. Can someone advise re the VB
differences and their opinion on what area is likely to be more in demand?
realize no one knows for sure and this is opinion only - will definitely
not
hold anyone responsible for their feedback, of course, but some guidance
would be of real help to me in going forward. Thanks....