Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Bridges[_2_] Bob Bridges[_2_] is offline

Default using a conditional formula from a drop down list and If State

Ok, I think I mostly understand what's going on. But you say "accumulated" -
do you mean "added" (as opposed to "averaged" or some other operation)? Or
are the raw data to be "accumulated" in the sense of just listed so you can
review another time?

And if arithmetically added, I may not need to know this but why add them to
two sheets instead of to just one? Is W2 a daily sheet and Z a total for the
length of the test, or what?

Now, in your first post you never actually asked a question or said what you
need. I presume you want a hint as to how to write some part of the code
that is to accomplish your purpose...but which part are you having trouble
with? If you already have a working drop-down list and text boxes then you
apparently know how to write VBA code, so your program is already reading
those values. Does it also know how to identify the fields in W2 and Z that
it should add those values to? What I'm asking is this: What does your
program look like so far? If you're having a problem with one part of your
logic, which part is it and what problem are you having? Or to put it
another way, what's your actual question? :-)

--- "David J" wrote:
[Yes to all of that with the following additional comments:]

Note this is for a live track-and-test program so the info that is updated
here needs to accumulate because the info is entered every 30 minutes or so
during testing.

what operation is the data in Z to be updated based on the data in W2: The
fields in Z are the accumulated data from the updated fields C D E from W2

--- "Bob Bridges" wrote:
Let me try to rephrase and you tell me whether I have it right:

Sheet X is basically an input form: In cell B2 you have a dropdown list of
IDs, and in C2, D2 and E2 (you said D2 twice but that's a typo, right?) are
some "input boxes", by which I suppose you mean text boxes. Not sure why
you need text boxes when the user could just type into the cells directly, but
let that go: The user is expected to select an ID from the dropdown list in
B2 and then enter some numeric values for that ID in C2, D2 and E2. Each
time the user has entered the data for a single ID, your program should go to
sheet W2 of the same workbook, look up the row for that ID and add the
values the user entered into C2, D2 and E2 into the corresponding sums (we'll
pretend they're also in C, D and E). When the user has finished entering all
data for the time being, the program (or another one) should take all those
values totaled up on W2 and "update" - you didn't say how - corresponding
values on a third (you said "second" but we're already got two) worksheet
which I'll call Z.

Is that right? If not, correct it please. If it is, by what operation is
the data in Z to be updated based on the data in W2? Should it be added
again (and if so, why didn't we just add it to Z in the first place?)?
Should the W2 numbers replace those in Z? What?