Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
aileen aileen is offline

Default move data based on number of characters in a cell

This works, but it doesn't exclude data with less than 4 characters in column
A. Is there a way to add that in to this code? Thanks everyone for the
speedy responses. I'm trying some of the other suggestions also.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Assuming your data starts in Row 1...

Put this in B1 and copy down... =MID(A1,3,1)

Put this in C1 and copy down... =MID(A1,4,9)

The second formula assumes the numerical part of the entry will never be
more than 9 digits long... if it could be, just change the 9 to a number
bigger than the number of possible digits.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"aileen" wrote in message
I have a column of data as such:
ESZ8
ESZ10
SPT
SPY
SPV
ESH9
SPC12

For the celss that have more than 3 characters I would like to separate
the
data into new columns as follows: ignore the first 2 characters then place
the 3rd character in a new column and any remaining characters which will
always be numbers in another column.

e.g
A B C
ESZ8 z 8
ESZ10 z 10
SPT
SPY
SPV
ESH9 h 9
SPC12 c 12

Is this at all possible? As usual, thank you for any help you can give.