Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Barb Reinhardt Barb Reinhardt is offline

Default Programming to create a report from raw data

The quickest way to do this would be with a pivot table. It's quick and
dirty and I think gets you what you want. If you do want to program this,
come back.

Select the range to be used for the pivot table (including headers)

Data - Pivot Table
Next - Next - Finish
Drop Name in ROW FIeld
Drop Period in Column Field
Drop Room in Data Items.
Double Click on "Count of Room" and change to SUM

--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

If this post was helpful to you, please click YES below.

"Jcraig713" wrote:

Hello. I have data in my excel file which contains many many rows; 9900 to
be exact, of student names and room locations in a building. The file (raw
data) looks like this in excel:

ColA Col B Col C Col D Col E
Name Grade Period Room Student ID#
Doe, John 12th 1 101 199999999
Doe, John 12th 2 102 199999999
Doe, John 12th 3 103 199999999
Doe, John 12th 4 104 199999999
Doe, John 12th 5 105 199999999
Doe, John 12th 6 106 199999999
Doe, Jane 11th 1 201 299999999
Doe, Jane 11th 2 202 299999999

etc........

This data is exported from our software system database like that through
period 7. What I would like for mail merge purposes or better yet, in excel
to create a report, is to get each student as listed in multiple rows, on one
row (record) so the mail merge knows where to put the info. What I would
like to do create programming that reads the raw data and reformat the file
to look like:

Name Grade Per 1 Rm Per 2 RM Per 3 RM
Doe, John 12 101 102 103
Doe, Jane 11 201 202 203 etc....

Is there a way to do this reformatting in excel without having to do this
one record at a time? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.