Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] steve.breslin@gmail.com is offline

Default Excel as a Game Design tool

Joel wrote:
Excel is good as a tool to visualize what data is in an array. Instead of
storing data in arrays you can put the data into excel.

Understood! However, I feel like I'm still missing something. I was
under the impression that it would be useful to harness sorting and
perhaps functions, to evaluate a design and discover problems.

I don't think it's possible to use sorting with arrays. (I mean, where
we have a list of items in a single cell, sorting only really
considers the first item, right?) Would the idea then be to write a
macro which analyzes somehow the elements of arrays?

Again, my apologies for being so vague. My main problem here is that I
don't understand the idea, so I'm basically just wandering in the
dark.

In a game you move from one location to another location and you have
objects that you collect as you move from location to location.

So you can set up a spread sheet where each row is a location. For example,
the columns can be one of the following

1) Ways of leaving a location
2) Next Location you can go to
3) Objects found in a Location