Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Problem with selecting a column in a macro

Except that the requirement is for conditional formatting...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895562

Unless the conditional formats are based on absolute references you need to
select the range... Unless you have some work around...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

#1. I don't think you can specify this.

#2. Maybe you can look at VBA's help.

#3. It seems each version of excel treats merged cells differently. You'll
want to specify the version of excel that you're using to get responses for that
version.

#4. Merged cells are painful to work with. I try my best not to use them.

#5. Most things you do in excel don't require that you select them to work on
them. Maybe you can change your code to work directly on the range.

Michael Bray wrote:

I have a sheet that I want to do some conditional formatting on from a
macro... So I started recording, selected the column I was intereted in
("A:A") and did the conditional format. Everything worked great.

When I put the appropriate code in the macro and run it, however, things go
screwey. The line where I select the column using 'Columns("A:A").Select'
actually selects columns A thru F because there is a cell that is merged
over the A-F columns.

Q #1: How can I tell the .Select function to NOT include the columns over
which the merged cells run?

Q #2: I figured I would just be able to look up the 'Select' method in the
Excel VBA reference at msdn, thinking there might be some parameters I
could pass. But strangely, they don't list the 'Select' method at all!
Why not?? Is there any reference documentation for this function?? I'm
sure they didn't just forget about it - I must be missing something.

Thanks for any help!

-mdb

--

Dave Peterson