Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
upendra upendra is offline

Default Open second Excel file with VBA

just try with ""

Upendra

On Oct 3, 4:42*pm, Gustaf wrote:
My code aims to open a temp copy of another Excel file (declared globally as 'file') and get values from the sheet with the same name as the active sheet in the first document. My attempt:

Private Sub cmdOpen_Click()

* *Dim fso As New FileSystemObject * * ' Requires reference to Microsoft Scripting Runtime
* *Dim path As String
* *Dim xlTmp As Excel.Application
* *Dim ws As Worksheet
* *Dim temp As String
* *Dim sheetName As String

* *' Create a temp file
* *path = fso.GetParentFolderName(file)
* *temp = path & "\temp.xls"
* *fso.CopyFile file, temp

* *' Open temp file in read-only mode
* *Set xlTmp = New Excel.Application
* *xlTmp.Workbooks.Open temp, , True

* *' Find the corresponding sheet in temp file
* *sheetName = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Name
* *Set ws = xlTmp.Sheets(sheetName)
* *If ws = Null Then
* * * *MsgBox "This workbook doesn't have a sheet named '" & sheetName & "'.", vbExclamation, "Error"
* *End If

End Sub

VBA won't understand the line

*If ws = Null Then

and I have no idea how to make it happy. I get the object doesn't support property/method error. Tried 'Nothing' too. Any suggestions? Other suggestions on the code are welcome too.

Gustaf