Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
evoxfan evoxfan is offline

Default Macro

Hell Steven:

I just now have seen your response, and I have answered your questions for
clarification to the best of my ability. I hope this information helps and
please let me know if you need any additional clarifications.

Thanks for your efforts.

" wrote:

Hello Evoxfan:

The summary row, is it always the last row of data?

No, there is fw more cells with data after the summary row, but I can
manually delete them if it is necessary for the macro to work.

Do you prefer the totals to be formulas or values? Values take up less
space in a workbook.

When I paste the data worksheet, I plan on pasting it as values instead of
formulas. For the macro, I would prefer it to be formulas, but as long as it
works in can be values.

Do you want to store the source sheet and the generated budget report
in the same workbook (separate from the original, of course) or just
the generated budget?

I definitely plan on keeping the source sheet in the same workbook once it
is copied over.

Rows 1 to 6 are to be discarded?

Yes.

How many worksheets do the source files contain and which sheet
contains the data?

There is only one worksheet that contains the data, which I will copy into
the budget workbook. In this workbook, I plan on have the first work sheet
with instructions for the macro so others can use it, and a macro button to
press. The second worksheet is where I plan on the macro performing its work
and the third worksheet is where I plan on pasting the source data values and
formats only.

Do you want the budget file to contain all generated budgets or just
the current one? (macro will either add a new workbook or worksheet)

Just the current one.

You mentioned that blanks in the Section column should be ignored,
does that mean the other columns for the same record will also be
blank, or is the data in each column independent of the other? If we
ignore blanks (assume - remove) the number of rows in each column may
change and data displaced.

No. Just because the Section column is blank does not mean the others will
be blank. Each column has data independent of each other.

Material/Labour - is it possible that there is a value in both the
Cost and Sub Cost columns? Which takes priority? Should they be summed
in those instances?

They should be summed in these instances.

Other - how are "remaining" costs determined? are these costs that
don't meet the Material/Labour criteria?

Any remaining cost that is not material or labor, will be classified as sub or other. Sub will take any remaining cost out the Subcost column and Other will take remaing cost from the Cost column.

I've a macro that performs similar tasks, I'll tweak it this weekend,
based on your responses, to suit your requirements and you can test it
out on a sample book.

Steven