Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robincambs Robincambs is offline

Default Assigning value to text

On 22 Sep, 14:47, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:
What I posted will return 20 if A1 contains "FOR CHANGE" and will return 10
otherwise. Perhaps you mean it returns 10 if A1 is blank? Try this then...

=IF(A1="","",10+10*(A1="FOR CHANGE"))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Robincambs" wrote in message

On 22 Sep, 14:17, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:
Give this a try...

=10+10*(A1="FOR CHANGE")

and copy it down as needed.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Robincambs" wrote in message

I am looking to assign a value to a text string and then insert the
corresponding value into a cell

As follows:

A1 to A100 could equal "NO CHANGE" or "FOR CHANGE"
If A1 = "NO CHANGE" then I1 = "10" else if A1 = "FOR CHANGE" then I1 =
"20"
If A2 = "NO CHANGE" then I2 = "10" else if A2 = "FOR CHANGE" then I2 =
"20"

then this to loop until A100

any help will be gratefully received- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestion, it doesn't do what i was hoping. There are
2 possible entries of text "NO CHANGE" or "FOR CHANGE" the suggestion
you made only provives a result of 10

Thanks
Rob- Hide quoted text -

Yes - that works great, how could i address 3 different conditions
such as NO CHANGE" or "FOR CHANGE" or "PENDING CHANGE"