Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Barb Reinhardt Barb Reinhardt is offline

Default Trace errant formula to stop annoying message

I'm seeing this problem when I run a macro which copies data from the
workbook but so far, am unable to reproduce it. I should be able to figure
out which worksheet/s are affected, but how do I get it to show up again.
Select the rows and copy? It's not clear from your last response.

Thanks,
Barb Reinhardt

"richardp" wrote:

Sam,

I have experienced this problem and have a workaround that has always
got rid of the problem for me. Unfortunately it takes a bit of time.

The problem occurs when you delete a chart that is linked to data in
your workbook (possibly only when the data is on a different sheet from
your chart).

The invalid references are linked somehow to the area of the sheet that
contained the deleted chart and you cannot get rid of them even if you
delete the entire rows.

What you need to do is this (where the shett containing the error is
named 'MySheet':

1. Backup workbook.
2. Rename the sheet that is causing the problem 'MySheetOld'
3. Create a new sheet 'MySheet' in your workbook.
4. Copy the rows in 'MySheetOld' down to but not including the area that
contained your deleted chart.
5. Paste into exactly the same rows in 'MySheet'.
6. Copy any rows below (but not including) the area in 'MySheetOld'.
7. Paste into exactly the same rows in 'MySheet'.
8. Change any names that point to 'MySheetOld' to point to 'MySheet'
9. On all other sheets in the workbook find and replace 'MySheetOld' in
formulae with 'MySheet'.
10. Save workbook.
11. Delete sheet 'MySheetOld'.
12. Error message should no longer appear.

You may have to play about with this a bit if you are not sure where tha
deleted chart was. Usually you can work your way down a sheet, forcing a
recalculate (grouping rows is a good and accurate way to do this - just
progressively add rows to a group then close and open the group). When
you get to the rows that the deleted chart was in the error message will
start appearing.

Steps 6 & 7 may be problematic as you may not know where the corrupted
rows end.

Hope this all works for you.

Regards,
Richard

Two points to Microsoft if they read this:

1. This problem occurs in both 2003 and 2007.
2. It is high time that this problem was fixed.