Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ngg ngg is offline

Default match up columns and move data

Steve,

This worked just as you said. I forgot a part to my problem though. Sorry.
Column C has a date that I need put in.

A B C

4
5
7
8

Desired result

A B C

1
3
6
7

ngg

" wrote:

On Sep 11, 11:06 am, ngg wrote:
I have 2 columns with numbers in them.(they are much bigger than my
examples). All numbers in column B exist in column A but not all numbers in
column A exist in column B. What I need to do is match up B with A. So I need
to find the number 2 in column A and then move the 2 down in column B so it
aligns with the 2 in column A. Is there a quick and easy way to do this? I
have listed my desired result below.

A B

1 2
2 4
3 5
4 8
5
6
7
8

Desired result

A B

1
2 2
3
4 4
5 5
6
7
8 8

ngg

--
ngg

You could put a formula in the column instead of sorting

Insert a column after B. Put this in Column C (or any other available
column).

=IF((COUNTIF(B:B,A1))0,A1,"")

That will look in column B for the value in A and return the value of
A if it exists in B, in the same row as the value in A. If not, the
value will be blank. Then you can copy the range with the formula,
Paste SpecialValues over column B.

Steven