Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Deleting number strings

Excel can do that with a macro but we need to be clear on the data layout.
Is this all in one cell or multiple cells?

07-25-03 - registered for Intro course Visa 5896 - 2115 - 1709 - 4589 Exp:
11-2004

Mike

"tonyd" wrote:

there are many credit card numbers....so one just wont work, anyway your
answer in here was better than the last...but i find it hard to beleive that
excel cant do the following steps

1-search cells for any number between 0000-9999
2-delete or replace it

call me crazy but it doesnt seem much i just dont know the answer though.

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

It won't get you an answer any quicker by posting in different groups, the
people here generally read all of them.

Why not try
Edit|Replace
enter 5896
and in the replace box enter **** or leave it blank
Click replace all

The credit card number will end up looking like

**** - 2115 - 1709 - 4589 Exp: 11-2004

Mike

"tonyd" wrote:

I have a column with a lot of information in it from our clients. some of
the cells have credit card numbers in them. all i want to do is tell excel
to find any group of 4 numbers ex. 5689 or 4589 and delete it. here is a
breif example of what you may find in any given cell. the numbers are not
real BTW. i have 4 thousand cells like the one below, i cant change them it
would take too long, i just want excel to find groups of four numbers and
then change them so no one can see the phone numbers, cc numbers or ss numbers
thank you

08-04-03
08-01-03 - I called him and He confirmed that he will take the intermediate
course
07-28-03 - He emailed to charge his account on monday
07-25-03 - he reffered his friend
07-25-03 - registered for Intro course
Visa 5896 - 2115 - 1709 - 4589 Exp: 11-2004
07-23-03 - said he wants to take the course during the FS.
07-23-03 - attended FS
07-23-03 - Comfirmed to confirm free seminar