Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Deleting number strings

Hi,

It won't get you an answer any quicker by posting in different groups, the
people here generally read all of them.

Why not try
Edit|Replace
enter 5896
and in the replace box enter **** or leave it blank
Click replace all

The credit card number will end up looking like

**** - 2115 - 1709 - 4589 Exp: 11-2004

Mike

"tonyd" wrote:

I have a column with a lot of information in it from our clients. some of
the cells have credit card numbers in them. all i want to do is tell excel
to find any group of 4 numbers ex. 5689 or 4589 and delete it. here is a
breif example of what you may find in any given cell. the numbers are not
real BTW. i have 4 thousand cells like the one below, i cant change them it
would take too long, i just want excel to find groups of four numbers and
then change them so no one can see the phone numbers, cc numbers or ss numbers
thank you

08-04-03
08-01-03 - I called him and He confirmed that he will take the intermediate
course
07-28-03 - He emailed to charge his account on monday
07-25-03 - he reffered his friend
07-25-03 - registered for Intro course
Visa 5896 - 2115 - 1709 - 4589 Exp: 11-2004
07-23-03 - said he wants to take the course during the FS.
07-23-03 - attended FS
07-23-03 - Comfirmed to confirm free seminar