Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Hannes Hannes is offline

Default Generate date in cell on changing value in drop down list

Sorry but it doesn't work. I copied the macro in the worksheet but nothing
happens.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding of the functionality. Here an example
for clarification:

Selected value in Column Date Generate date in
cell

1 M3 08/20/08 N3
3 M3 08/23/08 P3
5 M7 08/22/08 R7
6 M7 08/23/08 S7
I hope this helps. The macro should work in real-time in the background and
generate dates depending on the value in the according column of the row.

Many thanks for not giving up on me ;-)

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Simply right click the sheet tab desiredcopy/paste the macro.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Hannes" wrote in message
Could you please explain a bit more detailed how I have to adapt your code
because I am beginner in VBA programming. Thanks!

"Joel" wrote:

You need a worksheet change function.

Private Sub worksheet_change(ByVal target As Range)

If target.Column = Columns("M").Column Then
target.Offset(0, target.Value) = Date
target.Offset(0, target.Value).NumberFormat = "MM/DD/YY"

"Hannes" wrote:

Hi there,

I would need some support please on how to program in VBA the following
task:
In column M of any row the user chooses in a drop down list (values 1
to 6)
one value, at which simultaneously the current date (of selection) is
copied
into column N to S of the same row.
E.g.: User selects value 1 of drop down list in M3 so the date of today
e.g.
08/20/08 is copied into N3. At the 08/25/08 the user selects value 2 in
M3 so
the date is copied into O3. At the 08/29/08 the user selects value 3 in
M3 so
the date is copied into P3. And so on. Maximum of the date history
would be
S3 as there are 6 values to select. This should work for all rows
whereas the
columns stay the same.

Many thanks for any support.
Hannes