Vincnet.

I had already have a look for Book.xl* on my C:/ but didn't found anything
but one file in my XLStart folder...
I really do not understand this. And I don't know why my computer
automatically "repair" the XLStart folder in Program files when I delete it.
Sometimes (not often actually), XL moves in mysterious ways.
--
A+

V.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I'd look for multiple copies of book.*

Maybe????

I'm pretty much out of guesses.

???????? wrote:

Well, if I click right on the files in the explorer and have a look to their
properties both files are "Template Excel Files", so...
And I've tried to delete them, recreate them and nothing changed :-(
--
A+

V.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

? Did you check the windows explorer extensions?
?
? I'd delete book.xlt and sheet.xlt and recreate them -- I still think that they
? may not be real templates.
?
? Vincnet. wrote:
? ?
? ? Funny things...
? ? I've tried different things that you've proposed.
? ? 1st: check my current default path (it was as expected the one in
? ? C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART)
? ? and put my book.xlt (which is a real template and not a file) in it. Nothing
? ? changed.
? ? 2nd: check all the folders XLStart on my C:/ and found one for each users
? ? (admin, me, common, etc.) and one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
? ? Office\Office\XLStart
? ? I've tried to delete it, but (and that's the surprise) when I launch Excel,
? ? an office wizard appears and installs excel (!). And the folder XLStart in
? ? program files re-appears.
? ? And nothing changes...
? ? 3rd: I've tried to put a Sheet.xlt and Book.xlt in my XLStart folders (both
? ? of them) and when I open XL, one file named book.xlT and one named sheet.xlT
? ? appears.
? ?
? ? I really don't understand, but thanks for helping!
? ? --
? ? A+
? ?
? ? V.
? ?
? ? "Dave Peterson" wrote:
? ?
? ? ? You shouldn't ever see book.xlt when you start excel.
? ? ?
? ? ? I could see a workbook named book.xlt if I saved it as a normal workbook with
? ? ? the name of "book.xlt"--but this isn't a template. And I had to go out of my
? ? ? way to save it with that name. I used "book.xlt" with the quotes in the
? ? ? File|saveas dialog.
? ? ?
? ? ? If you open excel and put this in A1 of that book.xlt
? ? ? =CELL("filename",A1)
? ? ? what do you see?
? ? ?
? ? ? When I saved a workbook (a normal workbook), but used a name of "book.xlt" into
? ? ? my XLStart folder, I saw this:
? ? ?
? ? ? C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
? ? ? \Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\[book.xlt]Sheet1
? ? ?
? ? ? Another problem that might have occured: You saved the file as book.xlt (but
? ? ? the real name was book.xlt.xls and you don't show the file extension.
? ? ?
? ? ? If you do that =cell("filename",a1) and see something like:
? ? ?
? ? ? C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
? ? ? \Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\[book.xlt.xls]Sheet1
? ? ?
? ? ? That could be the problem.
? ? ?
? ? ? I like to always see the file extensions. In winXP, I can toggle that setting
? ? ? via:
? ? ?
? ? ? open Windows explorer
? ? ? tools|Folder options|view tab
? ? ? uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"
? ? ?
? ? ? So you should be able to save the file as book.xlt (make sure you choose
? ? ? "Template (*.xlt)" in that "save as type:" box.
? ? ?
? ? ? ======
? ? ? More things to check....
? ? ?
? ? ? Depending on how you upgraded excel, you can have multiple XLStart folders. I
? ? ? try to use the one that excel thinks is "current".
? ? ?
? ? ? With Excel open
? ? ? hit the alt-f11 key (gets you to the VBE)
? ? ? then hit ctrl-g (gets you to the immediate window)
? ? ? type this and hit enter
? ? ? ?application.startuppath
? ? ?
? ? ? I get this with xl2003 and winXP home:
? ? ? C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
? ? ?
? ? ? I'd close excel and find all of them:
? ? ? windows start button|Search
? ? ? Look for XLStart
? ? ? and delete all of them--except for the one that excel thought was current.
? ? ?
? ? ? (move the files in those folder to someplace safe--just in case there's
? ? ? something you want to keep.)
? ? ?
? ? ? Then back to excel and create your book.xlt and save it to that folder.
? ? ?
? ? ? And if you create another workbook named sheet.xlt, then all the new sheets
? ? ? added to existing workbooks will use that as their template.
? ? ?
? ? ? I click on the New icon (like Gord) to use book.xlt as the template.
? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ? Vincnet. wrote:
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? Hi Dave,
? ? ? ? I was very interested in your post. I've tried to save a customized template
? ? ? ? named "book.xlt" in my folder XLStart (the one under the Program Files
? ? ? ? folder), and I've been surprised to see a book.xlT when opening XL.
? ? ? ? Furthermore, when I insert a sheet, or when I create a new workbook, the new
? ? ? ? items are not customized but use the "standard" parameters of XL... Have you
? ? ? ? any clue which could explain that?
? ? ? ? Thanks
? ? ? ? --
? ? ? ? CU
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? V.
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? "Dave Peterson" wrote:
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? If you start a new workbook and change the page layout (for all the sheets), you
? ? ? ? ? can save it into your XLStart folder as Book.xlt.
? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? Excel will use that as the basis for new workbooks.
? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? You can change a lot of settings that way--including orientation,
? ? ? ? ? headers/footers....
? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? Amjad wrote:
? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? How to change the default printing parameters on Excel ? keep them changed
? ? ? ? ? ? for future workbooks.
? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? Example: Normally I use Printing margins 0.25 on all directions, but
? ? ? ? ? ? default printing margins are 0.75. I want to change them to set 0.25 as
? ? ? ? ? ? DEFAULT.
? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? --
? ? ? ? ?