Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_2518_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_2518_] is offline

Default Function macro

Unless I am not understanding what you want to do at all, I think there is
something seriously flawed about the disbursement model you have proposed.
Let's examine two examples... 3 people and 5 people... the disbursement
percentage you want are easy to calculate for them... 0.25,01

3 people - $100 disbursement amount
===========================
Rank % $
1 0.25 25
2 0.15 15
3 0.05 5
Total Disbursement = $45

3 people - $100 disbursement amount
===========================
Rank % $
1 0.25 25
2 0.20 20
3 0.15 15
4 0.10 10
5 0.05 5
Total Disbursement = $75

Trust me when I say that it will not take too many additional people before
you are distributing your whole disbursement amount and more. If I am not
mistaken, with 7 people your Total Disbursements will be $105 from your
total amount of $100.

So, given the above, have I misunderstood your intent or not?

Rick

"Skinman" wrote in message
Hi All,
Using excel 2007 on Vista and would like to make a macro function
to do this.
A= Amount for disbursement
R= Number of rank numbers (usually between 8 to 22)
B = A*5% to goto the lowest rank
C = A*25% to goto the highest rank
The balance of A to be distributed in a linear trend over the remaining
Ranked numbers.
In a simplified explanation say "A" = 100, "B" = 5 (5% of 100) "C" = 25
(25% of 100)
So that takes 30 of the 100 leaving 70 (70%) to be distributed in a linear
mode.
The second lowest ranked number would be slightly larger then 5% whilst
the
second highest ranked number would be slightly lower than 25%
I would round down to 1 decimal place.
I was thinking along the line of an array function but can't get my head
around it.
On my spreadsheet I would like to enter in D2 the amount and in
E2 the number of ranked numbers, then for the function macro to be
addressed from
another macro for placement of results.
Any pointers please. I can't find a built in function that will do this.
Skinman.