Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
lynnie lynnie is offline

Default Splitting Paragraph into two columns w/limit of 256 characters

Sorry Gary- Please ignore my previous message.

I know why it's saying invalid. If the first column has less than 256
characters, the result would be "#value!" in the first and second columns

How do you return blank instead of "#value!" in both columns?

Thanks!
Lynnie

"Lynnie" wrote:

Hi Gary!

Thank you for your fast reply!! Yes that worked beautifully! THANKS!

But one strange thing- there is a handful in the first column that are
returning ############## for the =LEFT(A43,FIND(" ", A43,245)-1) formula.

Also- do you know how to remove carriage returns (the little square) that is
in a cell?

Much Appreciated!

Lynnie

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

see if these 2 formulas would help. i used A1 as the cell with the original
data:

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ", A1,245)-1)

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,245))
--

Gary

"Lynnie" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a .xls file with one column of 500 characters in each cell. I would
like to split up the cells into two columns, each consisting of 256
characters or less.

Currently, when I split the column into two columns, at the 256 mark it
would split a word into two parts. The first few letters of a word is at the
end of the first cell, and the last few letters is the start of the second
cell.

Ex. for the word transmission
First Cell: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Transmi
Second Cell: ssion XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Is there a way for excel to split the column into two, but keeping the words
together? there are 3,000 rows.

Thanks!
Lynnie