Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CyberPierre38 CyberPierre38 is offline

Default xl2007 speed issues

I can only confirm what's said in various threads about perfs of XL2007. If
you ever used VBA, and want/need to come out with a workable application,
then you are in trouble. It may be I did something wrong, but here what I
experince:

My Excel VBA application looks into 80 rows/ 30 columns sheets and does some
computation, coloring or so. With my old PC, 600Mhz, XP and Excel 2003, it
used to take around 4-5 sec. to complete. I was very proud early this year to
buy a new PC, 2Ghz, 2Mb ram, Excel 2007 and Vista. Curiously enough, the
exact same program on the same sheet takes 45 seconds now (yes, not a typo,
it takes 10 times longer!)
Thinking it could be due to the use of €śpure€ť VBA, I created an add-in,
using VSTO with VS2005. I got then even worse performances: the same file
takes now 66 seconds to complete.
I decided then to embed most of the code into a COM object. First results
were disappointing (around 20sec), but by optimizing here and there, I
eventually got a reasonable response time, around 7-8 seconds.
That COM solves my performance problem (at least, the users will accept).
Then, remains that I dont know how to deploy a solution ExcelVBA-COM, as I
dont know how to automatically insert the reference into the users Excel at
setup time. Can anyone help here?
The most natural solution would have been to create a simple DLL instead of
a COM (I dont really need to instantiate objects in my apps, just call
functions). However, I am totally unable to create, with VS2005, a DLL that
would be callable from VBA. Does anyone have an example?
Note: I know how to call from VBA a function in an existing DLL, but each
time I try to call mine, I got the error saying the entry points are not
known (though the DLL file seems to be found). I would appreciate if somebody
can tell me how to make my own DLL callable from Excel VBA.

Thanks,

"Charles Williams" wrote:

Also make sure you have uninstalled the Google Desktop Office Search COM
addins: they slow down Excel 2007 significantly.

Although there are some slow things in Excel 2007 I have not found the
calculation engine itself to be generally slower, assuming you are not using
any of the new Excel 2007 features such as referencing full columns or rows
or the new conditional formatting etc.

But I have not done much testing on circular refs with 2007.

If you can send me a zipped workbook I will be happy to take a look at it.

regards
Charles
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"JNW" wrote in message
I have read multiple threads here regarding speed issues and xl2007. They
all have said that it has to do with charting or lack of SP1.

So what if I don't create charts with my code, and have installed SP1? I
am
still experiencing a 50% slowdown. I've found that it somehow has
something
to do with calculation. I have a number of circular references that are
needed in the workbook. I have iterations on and set to the same setting
as
they were in 2003. I've tried turning calculations off and on at various
points in the code, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Alternatively, does anyone
have
a reference as to how xl2007 calculates (what order) and maybe a
comparison
between 2003 and 2007 calculation steps?

Thanks