Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default string and numeric

Hi,

Right click your sheet tab, view code and paste this in

Sub extractnumbers()
Dim RegExp As Object, Collection As Object, RegMatch As Object
Dim myrange As Range, C As Range, Outstring As String
Set RegExp = CreateObject("vbscript.RegExp")
RegExp.Global = True
For x = 1 To 2
If x = 1 Then
RegExp.Pattern = "\d"
Else
RegExp.Pattern = "\D"
End If
Set myrange = ActiveSheet.Range("a1:a20") 'change to suit
For Each C In myrange
Outstring = ""
Set Collection = RegExp.Execute(C.Value)
For Each RegMatch In Collection
Outstring = Outstring & RegMatch
Next
C.Offset(0, x) = Outstring
Next
Next
End Sub

Mike

"cosmin" wrote:

Hi all,

I am using office 2003, and I try the following: in range(a1:a:20) I have
something like "123uiun" but not always the same number of string character
or number character, they can be also "1hjjll". I want to separate string and
the number. How can I do this using VBA?

Thanks in advance