Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Barb Reinhardt Barb Reinhardt is offline

Default xlChart returning wrong value

I ran this in Excel 2003 and didn't have an issue.

Sub AddNewChart()
Dim x As Variant
Set x = ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add(Type:=xlChart)
x.Name = "NewChart"
Set x = ThisWorkbook.Charts.Add
x.Name = "NewChart1"
End Sub

Sub CheckSheetType()

Debug.Print "NewChart1", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("NewChart1").Type
Debug.Print "NewChart", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Newchart").Type
End Sub

Both came out Type = 3

When I tried it in Excel 2007 before saving the file, I got the same thing.
Also no problem if the workbook was an .xlsm workbook.

I tweaked my code a bit to see what I'd get for other things.

Sub AddNewChart()
Dim x As Variant
Set x = ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add(Type:=xlChart)
x.Name = "NewChart"
Set x = ThisWorkbook.Charts.Add
x.Name = "NewChart1"
Set x = ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add(Type:=xlExcel4MacroSheet)
x.Name = "Macrosheet"

End Sub

Sub CheckSheetType()

Debug.Print "NewChart1", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("NewChart1").Type
Debug.Print "NewChart", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Newchart").Type
Debug.Print "Macrosheet", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Macrosheet").Type
Debug.Print "SHeet1", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Type
Debug.Print "Sheet2", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2").Type
Debug.Print "Sheet3", ThisWorkbook.Sheets("SHeet3").Type
End Sub

I only got -4167 for the regular worksheets.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"SixSigmaGuy" wrote:

Hi,

I added a chart to my workbook using the Sheets.Add command, with the "Type"
parameter set to xlChart.

But when I walk through the sheets in my workbook and check the "Type" of
each, it tells me that my chart is an xlExcel4MacroSheet instead of an
xlChart. According to help, xlChart has a value of -4109 and
xlExcel4MacroSheet has a value of 3. When I query the Type property of the
new Chart I created, VBA says the value is 3, not -4109. Seems like xlChart
is set to the wrong value; should it be 3 rather than -4109? Then again, if
I add a new sheet using the value of 3 for the type parameter, I get a new
worksheet, not a chart.

Anyone know what's going on? We were failing to process a lot of charts
because the wrong value was coming back. Following is a code snippet
showing my problem:

Sub AddNewChart()
Dim x As Variant
Set x = ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add(Type:=xlChart)
x.Name = "NewChart"
End Sub

Sub CheckSheetType()
Debug.Print ThisWorkbook.Sheets("NewChart").Type
End Sub

Immediate Window shows "3"