Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dick Kusleika[_4_] Dick Kusleika[_4_] is offline

Default Use VBA to Enter Break-Mode?

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 06:04:00 -0700, RayportingMonkey
wrote:

Thanks - and yes, using code like:

If Dir("\\NetworkShare\Pause.Excel") < "" Then
MsgBox "You wanted to get my attention?"
Kill ("\\NetworkShare\Pause.Excel")
End If

would throw a message box, thus interrupting code execution. Now maybe this
is just me getting stuck on a particular train of thought, but I want the
"event", be it a watch or be it with code like the above to actually enter
break-mode.

Again, I can do it with a watch, but I can't figure out how to script an
on-open event that would Add my Watch criteria.

Further, I can use code like in my example, but couldn't figure out how to
throw the Ctrl-Break. I tried code like this, but it didn't do what I
expected (stop the code as if Ctrl-Break was pressed on the keyboard).

If Dir("\\NetworkShare\Pause.Excel") < "" Then
SendKeys ("^{BREAK}")
Kill ("\\NetworkShare\Pause.Excel")
End If

I also tried removing the () like this: SendKeys "^{BREAK}" to no avail...

I don't think you can program in a watch statement. I should have mentioned
that in my first reply, but I was busy getting ahead of myself.

To throw the equivalent of Ctl+Break, use Stop

If Condition Then
Stop
End if

But, of course, that's not like a watch because it only works when that If
block executes, whereas a watch would break at any time the condition is
met.
--
Dick Kusleika
Microsoft MVP-Excel