Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joel joel is offline

Default Finding empty cells

I left a colon out of one statment. If there are additional problems let me
know which line has the error. It willusually be highlighted. Excel 2003
didn't give me a compiler error, but the line needed to be fixed.

from
Sht.Rows(1).Copy Destination=SummarySht.Rows(1)
Sht.Rows(1).Copy Destination:=SummarySht.Rows(1)

"leimst" wrote:

I've tried this again but am still getting a Compile Error. Any suggestions
on maybe some settings I should change?

Thanks,

Brian

"Joel" wrote in message
Depending on the way your workbook is set up you are required to define
variables. My workbook doesn't. I added the definitaions below

Sub combinesheets()
Dim First As Boolean
Dim Sht As Sheets
Dim SummarySht As Sheets
Dim NewRow As Long
Dim LastCol As Long
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim AddedRow As Long

First = True

For Each Sht In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
If First = True Then
'create new summary worksheet
Set SummarySht = Worksheets.Add(after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count))
'copy header Row to new sheet
Sht.Rows(1).Copy Destination = SummarySht.Rows(1)
NewRow = 2
First = False
End If
LastCol = Sht.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
LastRow = Sht.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
For RowCount = 2 To LastRow
AddedRow = False
For ColCount = 2 To LastCol
If Sht.Cells(RowCount, ColCount) = "" Or _
Sht.Cells(RowCount, ColCount). _
Interior.ColorIndex < xlNone Then

If AddedRow = False Then
'add header column
SummarySht.Range("A" & NewRow).Value = _
Sht.Range("A" & RowCount).Value
AddedRow = True
End If
If Sht.Cells(RowCount, ColCount) = "" Then
'Add X for empty cells
SummarySht.Cells(NewRow, ColCount) = "X"
Else
NewSht.Cells(RowCount, ColCount).Copy _
Destination:=SummarySht.Cells(NewRow, ColCount)
Next ColCount
If AddedRow = True Then
AddedRow = AddedRow + 1
End If
Next RowCount
Next Sht

End Sub

"leimst" wrote:

Joel,

Thanks for the response. This is my first attempt at using a macro
though!
I took your script and copied and pasted it in as a module. I then wnet
"Tools", "Macros", saw the "Combinesheets" macro and hit "Run". It came
back though and said "Compile Error: Variable Not Defined" and the "First
=
True" statement at the top was grayed out. Am I doing something wrong in

Thanks,

Brian

"Joel" wrote in message
Sub combinesheets()

[...]

"leimst" wrote:

I have a workbook with 10 worksheets (tabs) each with a Header Row
with
the
month of July dates across the top and a Header Column with other
information running down the side. What macro would search all 10
sheets
for the last date (column) that might have an entry from any of the
rows,
search back from there through July 1st and identify all blank cells
or
cells with a red "fill" and consolidate all of them on a new
worksheet?

Thanks for any help,

Brian