Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Test to see if Workbook requires a password

#1. I don't think you can. But I'll wait for someone to chime in with a
definitive answer.

#2. It could be.

ExcelMonkey wrote:

Yup that did it. 2 quick questions:

1) How do you change those VBE settings via VBA code?
2) If were doing this in VB.Net, would this be an issue?

Thanks

EM

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try checking/changing a setting:
Inside the VBE
tools|options|general tab
Check "break in class module"

I'm betting you have "break on all errors" checked.

ExcelMonkey wrote:

I am using the same code and it still does not work. My code stops on the
Set stmt and prompts me with a VBA error dialog box. Could it be that I have
a setting in VBA set? I am doing this in my Personal.XLS workbook. I tried
it in a module in a regular xls file and I still get the same error. When I
type the password in corrrectly the code works fine. I am in Excel 2003/SP3
using XP.

The code is below.

Sub OpenFile()
Dim myBook As Workbook

Set myBook = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set myBook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:="C:\Documents and Settings\Our
Account\My Documents\Test File.xls", Password:="a")
On Error GoTo 0

If myBook Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Password was not correct.")
Else
MsgBox ("Password was correct.")

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I think you changed the code.

This minor alteration of Ron's code worked fine for me:

Dim myBook As Workbook

Set myBook = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set myBook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:="c:\book1.xls", Password:="a")
On Error GoTo 0

If myBook Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Not opened"
Else
MsgBox "Opened"
End If

ExcelMonkey wrote:

Is the Error Handling failing because I am using a Method after the Set stmt?

Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(...)

I cannot get On Error Goto to work either. The code always stops on the Set
stmt and prompts me with an error.

Thanks

EM

"ExcelMonkey" wrote:

Ron when I do this I am still prompted with the password dialog box. I do
not want to be prompted with this. How do I get arround this?

Thanks

EM

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

You can use a on error

Set mybook = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set mybook = Workbooks.Open(......................)
On Error GoTo 0

If Not mybook Is Nothing Then

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message ...
How do you test to see if a workbook requires a passord prior to opening?

Thanks

EM

--

Dave Peterson