Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jialiang Ge [MSFT] Jialiang Ge [MSFT] is offline

Default Multiple Office Versions

Good morning AG,

I tried exporting some data from Access 2000 to Excel using the switch
to open the new file, while I had Excel 2003 already open. Guess what,
the file still opened in Excel 2007. That left me with two versions of
Excel open, which I believe Microsoft recommends against. If so, then
that is a bug, not a 'feature'.

First of all, I'm sorry if this problem ends up with an issue of our
product.
I'm trying to reproduce the symptom in my environment: Office 2003 + Office
2007 + Windows XP with all the patches. Would you please check whether my
steps are the same as yours?

I installed Office 2003 prior to Office 2007.
1. I opened my Excel 2003 from the Start menu. (no Excel 2007 instance is
running at the moment)
2. I created a mdb with a table "Table1" in Access 2003.
3. I right clicked the table and choose "Export" in the context menu.
4. In the "Export Table ToĦ*" dialog, I selected "Microsoft Excel
97-2003(*.xls)" as the file type, input "File name" and checked both "Save
formatted" and "Autostart".
5. After clicking the "Export" button, the xls is opened in the running
Excel 2003 instance, instead of starting a new Excel 2007 instance on my
side.

By the way, our previous discussions were based on the behavior:
double-clicking a xls in Windows Explorer. Those rules may not apply to
other scenarios like:

<quote
*Office OLE objects in other programs*
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/en-us
On a computer that is running multiple versions of Office, if you insert an
Office object into another program, the latest versions of the programs are
used. For example, if you insert a Microsoft Excel worksheet object into a
Word document, the latest versions of Word and of Excel are used. This may
cause problems if you share the container file with users who are not using
2007 Office programs.
</quote

BTW, I got a response to my 'Connect' post. I was correct in that it
is the wrong forum for an Office issue. The correct forum is here,
in a managed newsgroup. Therefore, as the 'Microsoft Support
Professional', I think it is up to you to submit the issue to the product
team.

I submitted your concerns to the product group's database after I said "It
is my pleasure to help send a wish to our product designers via internal
channel and convey your concerns." in my first reply. I recommended the
Microsoft feedback site because the product group may elevate the priority
of this feedback if it arrives at the team through both internal and
external channels. Now that the feedback site does not have the Office
entries for the moment, I will stick to the internal channel.

Yes, I understand that they put a lot of effort into improving
productivity, but it seems that whenever they give us something,
they take something else away.

I agree with you to some extent. Regardless of Microsoft's deeds for
improving the productivity, keeping backward compatibility is a very
difficult and cumbersome job for the entire software industry.
Software/Service providers are confronting the same/similar issues,
especially when their products become bigger and bigger. Microsoft's
developers and designers are doing their best to keep the balance between
feature enhancements and products' consistency. There may still be some
points that were neglected in the design/development phases, but
Microsoft's support service will serve as a good supplement. We are
listening to every customers' feedbacks earnestly. We take care of every
compliments or criticisms and convey them to the product team so that
better products will be provided to meet the customers' needs.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge , remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

.