Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jialiang Ge [MSFT] Jialiang Ge [MSFT] is offline

Default Multiple Office Versions

Hello AG,

The behavior of double-clicking Office files in Windows Explorer when
multiple versions of Office are installed on one computer is documented at
the KB article:

Information about using 2007 Office suites and programs on a computer that
is running another version of Office
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/en-us
and
Information about running multiple versions of Office with Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828956/
and
How to run multiple versions of Office on one computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q290576/

(See the section "Double-clicking files in Windows Explorer")

*1. For Microsoft Access and Microsoft Word*

If no version of the program in which the document was created is running,
the document is opened in the version of the program that was most recently
open. As you have seen, this behavior persists in Microsoft Access 2007 and
Microsoft Word 2007.

To change the association of Access and Word, we need to refer to the KB
article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141275/.

*2. For the rest Microsoft Office applications.*

The document mentioned that Office 95, 97, 2000, or XP replies on the "last
installation", and to reassociate documents with the programs included with
a particular version of Office, we need to run the Office Setup program and
click Reinstall (for versions 95 or 97) or Repair Office (for Office 2000
or Office XP). Doing this registers the file associations for that version
of Office.

In other words, the recommended/official approach to reassociate Excel
workbooks with a certain version of Office is by re-installing/repairing
that version of Office. Also note that, if you install a software update
for a version of Office, the software update repairs that version of
Office. You may have to repair some or all Office products after you
install a software update to restore the file associations.

I believe that these KB articles are clear enough to explain the symptom
you are experiencing, and they provide a resolution of the problem. I can
also understand your concerns that Excel makes the file re-association more
difficult than Word and Access. It is my pleasure to help send a wish to
our product designers via internal channel and convey your concerns. You
are also welcome to add your supplements to make Microsoft products easier
and more powerful to use by submitting a ticket in
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio. Please let me know if you have
any other concerns, or need anything else.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge , remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

.