Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default ISNUMBER

=mid() will always return text.

=IF(ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,1,1))

If A1 contained A202, then -A would cause an error--not a number.

If A1 contained 202, then -2 (and the minus will coerce the text two to a number
two) and that's a number.

johnrb7865 wrote:

Hi, does anyone know the best way to test if the 1st character in a cell in a
number or a letter in an IF statement? I tried =IF(ISNUMBER(MID(A1,1,1)),do
this if true, do this if false where A1 could be a202 or 202 and it didn't
work. I clearly don't understand the ISNUMBER command. I even tried it alone
=ISNUMBER(MID(A1,1,1) where A1 was a202 and 202 and they both came back
FALSE. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

--