Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Positioning datalabels

Hello again Tom !

but the OP said: " I know the height and width of the label"

So he did, I wonder how

One way I had in mind was placing the text into an autosize textbox with
same font and with no internal margins, generally works well.

Another way would be to position labels left & right, top & bottom, trapping
their left & top coord's in each position.
eg, .Position = xlLabelPositionLeft
Would learn just about all you need to know about label size as well as the
Point position. A bit of a kludge though.

Regards,
Peter T

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
for some reason data labels don't seem to expose there

width & height properties,

That was my thinking/experience,

but the OP said: " I know the height and width of the label"

Tom Ogilvy

"Peter T" wrote:

If for example I want to place a particular label exactly over a

point,

I know that's not your real question but if that was, simply
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).DataLabels.Positio n =

xlLabelPositionCenter

But if I follow, your real question is how to get the XY coordinates of

your
XY points. Have a go with the following

Create an XY embedded chart with one series, keep it simple let each X:Y
make a straight line starting with X:Y = 0:0, 1:1 etc

Option Explicit
Sub test()
Dim i As Long
Dim cht As Chart
Dim sr As Series
Dim aX As Axis, aY As Axis
Dim x0 As Single, y0 As Single, xP As Single, yP As Single
Dim xf As Double, yf As Double
Dim arrX, arrY

Set cht = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart
Set aX = cht.Axes(1)
Set aY = cht.Axes(2)

x0 = aY.Left + aY.Width
y0 = aX.Top + aX.Height

yf = y0 - aY.Top
xf = (aX.Left + aX.Width - x0)

xf = (aX.Left + aX.Width - x0) / (aX.MaximumScale)
yf = (y0 - aY.Top) / aY.MaximumScale

Set sr = cht.SeriesCollection(1)
With sr
arrX = .XValues
arrY = .Values
For i = 1 To .Points.Count
xP = x0 + arrX(i) * xf
yP = y0 - arrY(i) * yf
With .DataLabels(i)
.Left = xP
.Top = yP
End With
Next
End With

End Sub

I know yesterday you said you are working with an MS Graph, I think it
should work pretty much the same way but try the above in Excel. First

with
a straight line, then your "difficult" data.

The idea is to create your own co-ord system centred in the intersection

of
the XY axes, then scale X & Y according to the length to right and above

the
intersection. Where a chart does not have either of those axes would

use
the plot-area instead.

I'll leave the hard part to you, as to how to work out quite where to

place
those labels on a crowded chart. Actually I'd be interested to see!

Almost forgot to say, for some reason data labels don't seem to expose

there
width & height properties, hence in this demo top-left label corners are
placed over points (if it works as intended). I imagine you'll be able

guesstimate sizes depending on text & font, otherwise there's a much

more
long winded way to get a good idea of the size.

Regards,
Peter T

"Phil Stanton" wrote in message
et...
I have a scatter chart and I want to be able to position the labels
differently for each point ( depending on the space available on the

chart)

I know the X & Y co-ordinates of the points in the series.

The chart is 622 point wide and the interior width of the plot area is

422
point wide. I know the height and width of the label

If for example I want to place a particular label exactly over a

point,
what
is the calculation using the X co-ordinate, widths to give me the
DataLabel.Left value

Thanks for any help

Phil