Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Run a macro if file is a template

Just to add a thought.
I think most people test whether the workbook has a path. When a workbook
is created from a template, it won't have a path. when it has been saved, it
will.

Tom Ogilvy

"SLW612" wrote:

Fantastic! Many thanks

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

If ThisWorkbook.Name Like "*.xlt" Then

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"SLW612" wrote in message
I have created an order form template for my colleagues that automatically
opens a userform for order details when it the template is opened. However,
I want to disable the macro if the file has previously been opened and saved
by a colleague - basically, if the file is a template (.xlt), the macro
should run, but if it is a regular workbook (.xls) it shouldn't. I don't
want it to pop up every time we open a saved order form. I have tried the
following code but it's not working and I don't know why:

Sub Auto_Open()

If ThisWorkbook.Name = "*.xlt" Then
MsgBox "Template - macro will run"
Else
MsgBox "Not template - macro will not run"

I always get the "Not template" message - I have even added a line to put
ThisWorkbook.Name in a cell and the cell will record the ".xlt" extension so
I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance!