Ragdyer

There was a rather long thread a couple of weeks ago about the morality of
using these groups to proliferate the procedures and codes for breaking
passwords, considering that the identity of the questioner could not be
verified in any way as being legally empowered to have such access to any
particular XL file.

I believe what you have done here, although certainly not innovative, to say
the least, is use these groups to foster the misappropriation of something
that each one of us here depends on ... software.

RD

"Box" wrote in message
What you want is Adobe PDF. We use it to 'lock' Excel sheets. Everyone

can
look at the sheet but no one can change it.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat available and don't want to buy it, you

can
subscribe for a monthly fee at Adobe.com. If you won't use it enough to

make
even that worthwhile, Adobe provides 5 free samples. You select the file

on
your computer and Adobe will email you the file converted to PDF. You

could
create a new email address at yahoo.com or hotmail.com and get 5 free
conversions for each new email address.

"JSP" wrote:

When I protect a workbook so that users cannot modify it without knowing

the
password, what prevents the user from doing the following:
1. Open the workbook in read-only mode (I do want others to be able to

read
the workbook).
2. Select save as and give the file a new name.
3. Delete the original (password protected) workbook.
4. Rename the new (unprotected workbook) to the name of the original
workbook.
5. Edit the workbook and then save the changes.