Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gary Keramidas Gary Keramidas is offline

Default need help formatting text in macro

you could also use the mid function

Sub test()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim lastrow As Long
Dim cell As Range
Set ws = Worksheets("sheet1")
lastrow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For Each cell In ws.Range("A1:A" & lastrow)
If InStr(1, cell.Value, "-") = 0 Then
cell.Value = "0" & Left(cell.Value, 1) & "-" & _
Mid(cell.Value, 2, 30)
End If
Next

Gary

"Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasATmsn.com wrote in message
here's one way. i used sheet 1 and column A.

Sub test()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim lastrow As Long
Dim cell As Range
Set ws = Worksheets("sheet1")
lastrow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For Each cell In ws.Range("A1:A" & lastrow)
If InStr(1, cell.Value, "-") = 0 Then
cell.Value = "0" & Left(cell.Value, 1) & "-" & _
Right(cell.Value, Len(cell.Value) - 1)
End If
Next

Gary

"Daniel M" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that i scan barcodes into. Some of the barcodes are old
and omit the - in the serial number. I need to format the text to add it back
in. below is an example of the data. Also when the - is omitted it reads the
cell as text instead of general and omits the leading 0.

02-123456
2123456

You see no - and no leading 0. I need to add both back in. Can anyone give me
some help? I have tried a few things but i have another issue that breaks all
of them. Thanks.

dm.