Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gary Keramidas Gary Keramidas is offline

Default need help formatting text in macro

here's one way. i used sheet 1 and column A.

Sub test()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim lastrow As Long
Dim cell As Range
Set ws = Worksheets("sheet1")
lastrow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For Each cell In ws.Range("A1:A" & lastrow)
If InStr(1, cell.Value, "-") = 0 Then
cell.Value = "0" & Left(cell.Value, 1) & "-" & _
Right(cell.Value, Len(cell.Value) - 1)
End If
Next

Gary

"Daniel M" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that i scan barcodes into. Some of the barcodes are old
and omit the - in the serial number. I need to format the text to add it back
in. below is an example of the data. Also when the - is omitted it reads the
cell as text instead of general and omits the leading 0.

02-123456
2123456

You see no - and no leading 0. I need to add both back in. Can anyone give me
some help? I have tried a few things but i have another issue that breaks all
of them. Thanks.

dm.