Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RichardOnRails RichardOnRails is offline

Default Posting in each row of a Summary sheet the sum of correspondingitems on another sheet

On Jun 20, 4:57 am, wrote:
Hi
Have you tried a Pivot Table as your summary sheet? This will give you
sums broken down by ID etc.
regards
Paul

On Jun 20, 4:10 am, RichardOnRails

wrote:
Hi,

I don't know much about VBA (though I've done a lot of C++, Ruby,
etc.). I've got a Summary sheet and a Details sheet.

Each row in the Summary sheet has (Cols A, B, C, etc) = ProdID ,
ProdName, #Items, etc.

Each product in the Details sheet has a 3+ rows with:
- 1st row, Col. A, = ProdID
Col B of the 1st, 2nd, etc. rows = # items of that product received
Col C of the 1st, 2nd, etc. rows = date of each receipt
etc.

I'd like to specify the the # items in each row of the Summary sheet =
Sum(the of the #Items in the corresponding Details rows.

Is there some online writeup about how this could be done? Or can you
provide the key ideas about how this search could be coded in VBA?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

Thanks, Paul,

I've heard of pivot tables but never looked into them. I will now.

Again, thanks,
Richard