Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CLR CLR is offline

Default Can this code be speeded up?

Hi All.......
Below is code that works fine, it just takes a long time to run and I was
hoping someone could give me an idea how to speed it up.....like by cutting
the time in half or better......the idea behind it is that on a 3500 row
database, each row has a date in column Q that is the first day of the month
only. This macro effectively deletes all rows whose date equals the oldest
date in column Q. Incidently, if I use "delete" instead of "clearcontents
and then sort", it causes a reduction of the size of the database each time
it's run, which is unacceptable.

Here's the code:
Sub DeleteTheOldestMonth()
Dim lastrow As Long, r As Long
Dim oldest As String
Range("data!k1").Value = "=min(ALL12!Q13:Q10000)" 'col Q contains dates
'using the first day of each month only
oldest = Range("data!k1").Value
Sheets("ALL12").Select
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
For r = lastrow To 13 Step -1

If Cells(r, "Q").Value Like oldest Then
Rows(r).EntireRow.ClearContents
End If
Next r

'Sort the database, firstkey col A, secondkey col Q to eliminate blank rows
'without changing the RANGE of the database, A12:S10000
Range("A12:z10000").Select
Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A12"), Order1:=xlAscending,
Key2:=Range("Q12" _
), Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=
_
False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

Range("A12").Select
End Sub